Next Structured Dialogue Meeting with Club - Questions Invited

SLO_BFC

Well-known member
So Blackpool's SLO was appointed by the FSA then? Are you sure? Thought he was interviewed by the club?
Correct coppiceman. I was interviewed and appointed by the board of BFC. At Blackpool the SLO is an independent, unsalaried role, a conduit between board and fans. I have no official connection to the FSA. I act as intermediary for all fans' groups and all BFC supporters regardless. Yes I am a lifetime member of BST but never act in a partisan manner as SLO. One more thing, structured and constructive engagement between clubs and fans is encouraged by the EFL. Clearly there is a need for better info about what a SLO's remit is and what structured dialogue is as opposed to a fans' forum. I'll look to address that in the near future via the club's website. In the meantime if you have questions send them to me (deadline Thursday). I've asked on more than one occasion if the SD meetings could be streamed or recorded to the club's YouTube channel. I know that is under consideration but can't make any promises.
 

manchesterseasider

Well-known member
"If you are a member of a fans’ group, please submit your question(s) for the board of BFC to your group organisers."

What constitutes a fans' group? - Is there now an accreditation that you need?

If me and my pals on my Blackpool Whatsapp Group have a few questions, does that make us eligible?....😂

Every Fan should be able to have a voice.
 

Wizaard

Well-known member
I don't think the Board are keeping secrets, except when it comes to players, signings, contracts etc, it's just there's nothing to say that hasn't been already been said about the East Stand, the training ground, or whatever.
Personally I would prefer a bit more visibility and a bit more insight about what the Board sees as "key issues" currently.
A monthly column in the "virtual" programme or news item on the Official site or even an interview.
Anyway I've sent my questions via BST. I know I'm a bit boring and you can probably guess the theme but here they are:
1. What is the timeline for getting Stanley Park Arena ready to host U/18 Academy games.
2. I know the Youth teams games are recorded however the coverage is not great. Will the Board consider an investment in improved covearge and post match 90 minute playback so football starved fans can see how our future stars are developing? This could be done in conjunction with students at UCLAN with an interest in Sports Media.
3. We seem to be concentrating currently on giving players from other Academies first team opportunities. Can the Board expand on it's aspiration to have 5 youth team players in the first team squad by 2025 from BFC's Academy?
4. The Board has stated it wants the Academy to achieve Category 2 status. When would they expect this to be achieved?
5.Just for completion some of the above questions are tied in to the development of the new training complex. I'm sure other BST members will be asking about this but if not can we have an update please?
Good set of questions there
 

SLO_BFC

Well-known member
"If you are a member of a fans’ group, please submit your question(s) for the board of BFC to your group organisers."

What constitutes a fans' group? - Is there now an accreditation that you need?

If me and my pals on my Blackpool Whatsapp Group have a few questions, does that make us eligible?....😂

Every Fan should be able to have a voice.
Every fan does have a voice manchesterseasider. Per the opening post: "If you don’t belong to a group you may email your question(s) to me at: slo@blackpoolfc.co.uk or alternatively post questions on this AVFTT thread."

The request for those who belong to organised fans' groups is 2-fold: 1) So those groups' committees know what matters to their members and 2) To streamline the process. Their reps can do the de-duping instead of my inbox or this thread getting the same question from a few hundred people.
 

rememberlesshannon

Well-known member
To be honest and given the last 12 months, there's not a lot to ask. Given the current climate and no fans in the ground, we should be glad the club is still making small steps forward ie ground improvements continuing.
Stuff like training ground and East Stand have obviously been put on hold due to the current situation, so pointless asking.
I bought a season ticket, got the home games free on ifollow, happy with that, no refund thanks.
Just keep the club going until we can all get back and then we can start asking questions about the future.
 

coppiceman

Well-known member
Correct coppiceman. I was interviewed and appointed by the board of BFC. At Blackpool the SLO is an independent, unsalaried role, a conduit between board and fans. I have no official connection to the FSA. I act as intermediary for all fans' groups and all BFC supporters regardless. Yes I am a lifetime member of BST but never act in a partisan manner as SLO. One more thing, structured and constructive engagement between clubs and fans is encouraged by the EFL. Clearly there is a need for better info about what a SLO's remit is and what structured dialogue is as opposed to a fans' forum. I'll look to address that in the near future via the club's website. In the meantime if you have questions send them to me (deadline Thursday). I've asked on more than one occasion if the SD meetings could be streamed or recorded to the club's YouTube channel. I know that is under consideration but can't make any promises.
Thanks very much. I knew what Plumbs was saying was rubbish, thanks for confirming.
 

Plumbs

Well-known member
So Blackpool's SLO was appointed by the FSA then? Are you sure? Thought he was interviewed by the club?
No idea what Blackpool FC did but I didn't say anyone as appointed BY the FSA,but twist it all you want.

Like I said -and its a reasonable opinion to hold-that SLO's appointed FROM the FSA will have a bias towards the Trusts,because thats how they are lectured and advised at conference and at workshops.I've attended many of these inductions and also been to the structured dialogue seminars, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.
 

coppiceman

Well-known member
The SLO not being bothered to do the SLO's job after being appointed from the FSA.

The role should be independent.

This what you said. It seemed pretty clear what you meant. But if you want to back track that's fine. Nothing to do with BFC.
 

Plumbs

Well-known member
This what you said. It seemed pretty clear what you meant. But if you want to back track that's fine. Nothing to do with BFC.
Very good-back tracking eh?

Plenty of examples elsewhere in the EFL but-like I said- the appointment of SLO's from/who have previously being directly involved with the FSA/ SD/FSF doesn't work. In my view the clubs should have an unattached* member of staff to deal with it so everyone gets treated the same

* by that I dont mean not married just in case you want to pick me up** on it (guffaw)

** I dont mean I want a date*** either

*** not one of those you get in a box at Christmas
 

coppiceman

Well-known member
Very good-back tracking eh?

Plenty of examples elsewhere in the EFL but-like I said- the appointment of SLO's from/who have previously being directly involved with the FSA/ SD/FSF doesn't work. In my view the clubs should have an unattached* member of staff to deal with it so everyone gets treated the same

* by that I dont mean not married just in case you want to pick me up** on it (guffaw)

** I dont mean I want a date*** either

*** not one of those you get in a box at Christmas

No, I understand now. You were criticising FSA, not Blackpool. And not Blackpool's SLO either, if I get you right.

I'm not a fan of puns btw. Especially rubbish ones. 😀
 

Malcolm Clarke

Well-known member
No idea what Blackpool FC did but I didn't say anyone as appointed BY the FSA,but twist it all you want.

Like I said -and its a reasonable opinion to hold-that SLO's appointed FROM the FSA will have a bias towards the Trusts,because thats how they are lectured and advised at conference and at workshops.I've attended many of these inductions and also been to the structured dialogue seminars, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

SLOs are appointed by football clubs, certainly not the FSA. The phrase "from the FSA" has no meaning in this context. If an SLO is a member of the FSA, then fine. If they are an active member, even better. We'd be crazy not to welcome that, for obvious reasons. The allegation that we have a bias towards Trusts, and "lecture" SLOs accordingly is total nonsense. We have affiliates which are Trusts, and a great many which aren't Trusts, many of them from clubs which don't even have a Trust.

Malcolm Clarke
FSA Chair
 

Plumbs

Well-known member
SLOs are appointed by football clubs, certainly not the FSA. The phrase "from the FSA" has no meaning in this context. If an SLO is a member of the FSA, then fine. If they are an active member, even better. We'd be crazy not to welcome that, for obvious reasons. The allegation that we have a bias towards Trusts, and "lecture" SLOs accordingly is total nonsense. We have affiliates which are Trusts, and a great many which aren't Trusts, many of them from clubs which don't even have a Trust.

Malcolm Clarke
FSA Chair
No-one has said that SLOs are appointed by the football clubs-do keep up. No-one either is saying that anyone shouldnt be appointed nor there is a specific problem,but simply expressing an opinion which (believe it or not) people are entitled to do.

There are have been lectures at FSF/SD meetings which were actually quite insightful and helpful, but they were certainly in place and usually undertaken by James Mathie.

No surprises to see you pop up on here indeed I wonder who's been passing on the info? 😉

Edit:I'll be back around 8 (smiley)
 

Plumbs

Well-known member
Last edited by a moderator:

thecatintheroof

Well-known member
I'd like to know whether they think the West Concourses pose a long term problem in terms of congestion, being served food, getting in and out etc. I did one game in the South last season and the difference was ridiculous in terms of space and being served to the point am tempted to move.
 

Loco

Well-known member
I'd like to know whether they think the West Concourses pose a long term problem in terms of congestion, being served food, getting in and out etc. I did one game in the South last season and the difference was ridiculous in terms of space and being served to the point am tempted to move.
There's even less space in the north than the west.
 

Malcolm Clarke

Well-known member
No-one has said that SLOs are appointed by the football clubs-do keep up. No-one either is saying that anyone shouldnt be appointed nor there is a specific problem,but simply expressing an opinion which (believe it or not) people are entitled to do.

There are have been lectures at FSF/SD meetings which were actually quite insightful and helpful, but they were certainly in place and usually undertaken by James Mathie.

No surprises to see you pop up on here indeed I wonder who's been passing on the info? 😉

Edit:I'll be back around 8 (smiley)
You've made a subtle little change here from "FSA" to "FSF/SD". James Mathie never worked for the FSA. He worked for SD (Supporters Direct) but left before the merger in 2018, so the meetings you refer to are at least 3 years old. That of course also means I can't ask him whether your account of what he is alleged to have advised is true or not, even if it was clear exactly what you are suggesting he said, which it isn't.

In fact, if you look through the list of club SLOs ( which are on the FSA website) very few of them have had any active involvement with the FSA or its predecessor organisations. But as I have said, we welcome the appointment by a football club of someone who has experience of the supporters movement, at local and/or national level as an SLO. It's not an essential requirement for a good SLO but it's an obvious 'plus' for that job and indeed the UEFA handbook ( where the concept originally came from) on SLOs specifically says that as well.

Malcolm Clarke
FSA Chair
 

Malcolm Clarke

Well-known member
Update: here's the detailed summary of what the FSA were/are pushing,of which I've no real problem with but its what they convey to other fans without equitable prior consultation.
If you go to page 23 they mention a Trust Director and thats what I think the real agenda is with the FSA ie have one on every clubs board, where that might be a great idea if its someone you can all trust. (wouldn't work at some clubs-cough,cough)

Too often in my experience there are people who have an eye on this role and will go about it in surreptitious way,even to a point where they take a forum moderators role so they can manipulate fans opinions etc.

That's a pre-merger document produced by Supporters Direct, not the FSA. It has a lot of very good stuff in there, but it is misleading to present having a supporters director on each Board as the "real agenda" of the FSA, although of course it would be very good if that were to happen. Why would the national supporters organisation not want that ?

But, the concept of a supporters director merits just one sentence in our 20 page document on reform of football governance ( link below) which was most certainly subject to prior consultation with our members and debate at our Conference.


Malcolm Clarke
FSA Chair
 

AngelBFC

Well-known member
To be honest and given the last 12 months, there's not a lot to ask. Given the current climate and no fans in the ground, we should be glad the club is still making small steps forward ie ground improvements continuing.
Stuff like training ground and East Stand have obviously been put on hold due to the current situation, so pointless asking.
I bought a season ticket, got the home games free on ifollow, happy with that, no refund thanks.
Just keep the club going until we can all get back and then we can start asking questions about the future.
A very sensible post.
We are in the middle of a global pandemic that has killed millions of people and deaths continue
There are few certainty’s as a result
The main question will be when can we get in the ground . Club won’t be able to answer that .
It’s great that the club are having the meeting in the circs
 

SEASIDE2020

Well-known member
Update: here's the detailed summary of what the FSA were/are pushing,of which I've no real problem with but its what they convey to other fans without equitable prior consultation.
If you go to page 23 they mention a Trust Director and thats what I think the real agenda is with the FSA ie have one on every clubs board, where that might be a great idea if its someone you can all trust. (wouldn't work at some clubs-cough,cough)

Too often in my experience there are people who have an eye on this role and will go about it in surreptitious way,even to a point where they take a forum moderators role so they can manipulate fans opinions etc.


Plumbs

You raise some good, fair and interesting points but it might be an idea to note that the situation you describe/suggest could not happen at BFC - and via AVFTT - as there are no moderators on AVFTT.
 

Plumbs

Well-known member
You've made a subtle little change here from "FSA" to "FSF/SD". James Mathie never worked for the FSA. He worked for SD (Supporters Direct) but left before the merger in 2018, so the meetings you refer to are at least 3 years old. That of course also means I can't ask him whether your account of what he is alleged to have advised is true or not, even if it was clear exactly what you are suggesting he said, which it isn't.

In fact, if you look through the list of club SLOs ( which are on the FSA website) very few of them have had any active involvement with the FSA or its predecessor organisations. But as I have said, we welcome the appointment by a football club of someone who has experience of the supporters movement, at local and/or national level as an SLO. It's not an essential requirement for a good SLO but it's an obvious 'plus' for that job and indeed the UEFA handbook ( where the concept originally came from) on SLOs specifically says that as well.

Malcolm Clarke
FSA Chair
I didnt say he worked for FSA but was referring to the agenda which concerns structured dialogue-hence the thread title. Whether it was the 'old money' group it doesnt matter,because thats continued with the new organisation and implemented at Blackpool by their Trust.

How the SLO initiative is viewed is a subjective concern and it depends on whether fans are equitably treated, and its fair to point out that (say) someone with professional customer service might be a preferable option. From what I've seen at my club I wouldnt give that position to anyone involved with our Trust, because of many issues including exclusion of other fans-and that includes National Council members of your group(s)
 

Wizaard

Well-known member
What about Jackie Weaver 🙄

I'd genuinely like to know what went wrong with the pitch against Burton.
Next to nothing. There was a two metre square patch that was a bit more firm than the rest because it didnt get the same benefit of the lighting rigs as other areas. The club weren't happy, especially after the previous covid call off by the same team when weve played despite injuries and covid. Should make for an interesting game when we do play them.
 

SEASIDE2020

Well-known member
Next to nothing. There was a two metre square patch that was a bit more firm than the rest because it didnt get the same benefit of the lighting rigs as other areas. The club weren't happy, especially after the previous covid call off by the same team when weve played despite injuries and covid. Should make for an interesting game when we do play them.

I wouldn't be an expert on the state of the pitch before the game Wiz but I wouldn't be surprised if what you suggest is right.

If I'm the manager of the opposing team and feel that it's better for my side to play the match another time and the officials give me an out or the potential for me to create an out then I'm taking or creating that out every time.
 

Wizaard

Well-known member
I wouldn't be an expert on the state of the pitch before the game Wiz but I wouldn't be surprised if what you suggest is right.

If I'm the manager of the opposing team and feel that it's better for my side to play the match another time and the officials give me an out or the potential for me to create an out then I'm taking or creating that out every time.
Yet we've consciously not done that despite having 11 players out for one reason or another (and won 5 0)😂
 

SEASIDE2020

Well-known member
Yet we've consciously not done that despite having 11 players out for one reason or another (and won 5 0)😂

Firstly Wiz, I wasn't criticising you by any means.

Our actions may have been very noble but that doesn't - and clearly hasn't - stop Burton acting in their own interest and employing a bit of gamesmanship.

I am imagine some will question their behaviour given the current situation but there will be times when we act in our own interest at the expense of others.

Assuming what you said re the situation was correct - and I think you are very probably right - I'd be more likely to blame the official for providing Hasselbaink/Burton with an out by giving the option to cancel or by accepting his (Hasselbaink's) request for a cancellation.

IF - that's an if - the official cancelled the game of his own steam then Hassellbaink is exonerated of everything - including my gamesmanship accusations.
 

todayistheday

Well-known member
Why is Sadler getting involved with the Council regarding the east stand. Lets not have those wanker Cllr's enjoying freebies at BFC,they are vermin,always have been. ✅
 

Recidivist3

Well-known member
I'd be more likely to blame the official for providing Hasselbaink/Burton with an out by giving the option to cancel or by accepting his (Hasselbaink's) request for a cancellation.

IF - that's an if - the official cancelled the game of his own steam then Hassellbaink is exonerated of everything - including my gamesmanship accusations.
🙄 Any other conspiracy theories you’d like to share

can’t believe that anyone can even suggest this
 

SEASIDE2020

Well-known member
🙄 Any other conspiracy theories you’d like to share

can’t believe that anyone can even suggest this


For some reason, you appear to be trying to sensationalise my very normal suggestion.

Teams trying to get game a called off when it suits them happens all the time and is hardly a conspiracy theory.

I think you have either totally misunderstood my post or you are up to no good.
 

TangerinePeel

Well-known member
We are certainly going to be receiving an interesting response off the club about the East Stand if the reports the are true they knew nothing about the announcement!
 

fcblackpool

Well-known member
SLO- Could we ask if the Club could push for some sort of iFollow away tickets, whether it's season or blocks, for when normality returns? I'm sure a system could be put in place to ensure you are a fan of the away team rather than a home fan choosing the cheaper option and not attending, such as home ST, purchase history etc.

An additional source of income for the Clubs and , cough, the EFHell, err L.
 

SLO_BFC

Well-known member
SLO- Could we ask if the Club could push for some sort of iFollow away tickets, whether it's season or blocks, for when normality returns? I'm sure a system could be put in place to ensure you are a fan of the away team rather than a home fan choosing the cheaper option and not attending, such as home ST, purchase history etc.

An additional source of income for the Clubs and , cough, the EFHell, err L.
This was discussed at the SD meeting. Minutes will be released in the next day. Big issue here is that Sky holds the cards when it comes to permissions and when normality returns they may not sanction the 3pm streams (iFollow originally being set up for overseas consumption only). The club is watching developments closely.
 

fcblackpool

Well-known member
This was discussed at the SD meeting. Minutes will be released in the next day. Big issue here is that Sky holds the cards when it comes to permissions and when normality returns they may not sanction the 3pm streams (iFollow originally being set up for overseas consumption only). The club is watching developments closely.
Thing is though, if people want to do it, they can. It was a way of doing it legally and above board.
 

Bispham_Seasider

Well-known member
We are certainly going to be receiving an interesting response off the club about the East Stand if the reports the are true they knew nothing about the announcement!
The Council document makes it quite clear that the stadium development is not part of it and is only included to show how it could look with a fully completed stadium and redeveloped East stand. It states that the stadium development is a private matter for the club.
 

TangerinePeel

Well-known member
The Council document makes it quite clear that the stadium development is not part of it and is only included to show how it could look with a fully completed stadium and redeveloped East stand. It states that the stadium development is a private matter for the club.
The Gazette hyped everyone up with a carefully worded click-baity article which at first glance seemed as though it was an announcement that the East Stand is definitely happening.

Within the article they do state they are just plans, but look at how its worded "BREAKING:" and all that, its whipped the fans up into a frenzy and got us all excited about the potential new East Stand - now the club will have to be the bad guys and let everyone down.
Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 15.27.04.png
 

abt1835

Well-known member
I would like to see iFollow being extended to include all games if and when we are all allowed back in.
In order that the 'Home' club is not financially worse off, the cost of watching on iFollow should be the same as entrance at the gate and should all go to the 'Home' Club, which I think is how gate receipts were previously allocated for League matches.
 
Top
X